Kubuntu Alpha's

Sascha G├╝thling guethling at googlemail.com
Mon Sep 21 15:59:58 UTC 2009

On Sun, Sep 20, 2009 at 5:33 AM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Though I will make a complete new install for the final release I
>> think the update would work too. The update system is smart enough to
>> install all the new package and kick out obsolete ones. It's probably
>> all the ongoing changes in the repositories that make trouble right
>> now.
>>

> No, Sascha, the update mechanism is not smart enough to "install all
> the new package and kick out obsolete ones" from the alphas. Apt-get
> only compares version numbers, and that is often misleading in the
> alpha stage. You might get away with updating from an RC to the
> released version, but betas and especially alphas should _not_ be
> updated to production systems.
>

> --
> Dotan Cohen
>
> http://what-is-what.com
> http://gibberish.co.il

I don't understand what is wrong or misleading with comparing version
numbers. If a newer version becomes available it will be installed by
the update mechanism. At the end (meaning after an update) the whole
system should only contain the newest versions of all installed
packages and obsolete packages should have been removed. So if the
repository stays the same I should be able to update all the way from
alpha1 to the final release. Right?

Sascha