Jaunty and Radeon 7500

Brian Blater brb.lists at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 15:59:20 UTC 2009

Hi everyone,

I've been trying to get X configured on a Dell Inspiron 4150 laptop.
The laptop has an ATI Radeon Mobility 7500 (M7) card. I've installed
Kubuntu Jaunty on the laptop and everything works but my display
resolution is set to 1024x768 and the card and laptop should do
1400x1050.

I'm trying to get the resolution set correctly and nothing is working.
Since the card is older it only uses the opensource radeon driver not
the proprietary driver. I've tried several things in the xorg.conf
along with several things I've found on google and I cannot get it to
do anything other than 1024x768 or lower.

lspci shows the correct card. I'm not seeing any errors in the
Xorg.0.log file and it shows that the radeon module is being loaded.
The only warning in see in Xorg.0.log is the following:
(WW) RADEON(0): LVDS Info:
XRes: 1024, YRes: 768, DotClock: 65000
HBlank: 320, HOverPlus: 16, HSyncWidth: 136
VBlank: 38, VOverPlus: 2, VSyncWidth: 6

Right now the xorg.conf file is totally default with no specific
configuration. If I change it to include the subsection display modes
it will not load X and I'm just left at a tty login prompt.

So, I'm baffled and can't figure out what the deal is. If anyone has
any suggestions to get the resolution where it should be, I would
appreciate it.

Thanks,
Brian