grub error 18

Chan Chung Hang Christopher christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Mon Sep 21 15:02:59 UTC 2009

David Kuntadi wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 6:29 PM, Clay Weber <claydoh at midmaine.com> wrote:
>
>> A lot of us do, my laptop is 6 years old, for one. Runs nicely as my daily
>> machine with Jaunty
>>
>> My only other thought is to save a copy of your menu.list, reboot, and when
>> you have to boot from the livecd, look at the menu.list before you repair it
>> to see what the differences between the 2 are.
>>

> That is what I have suggested before, but looks like he will not do it.

Well, the rational is rather simple. grub stage2 has the ability to walk
through the filesystem to look for files and to cat them. So really, the
menu file should be the last thing that makes trouble for grub but since
Gene does a chattr +i I might just try that although I am of the opinion
that +i really just messes up whatever is trying to reinstall grub
during shutdown and so it ends up NOT  reinstalling grub.