grub error 18

Clay Weber claydoh at midmaine.com
Mon Sep 21 11:29:52 UTC 2009

On Monday 21 September 2009 04:09:53 am Christopher Chan wrote:
> Nils Kassube wrote:
> > Christopher Chan wrote:
> >> grub cannot even load stage1.5 when it is error 18...
> >
> > Why do you think it doesn't load stage 1.5? According to the grub manual
> > [1], error 18 is a message from stage 1.5, so it should have loaded.
>
> In that case, then stage2 cannot be loaded.
>
> > Other than that, I have read again the entire thread but I have no idea
> > what is wrong on your system. However I can't imagine there is something
> > wrong with one of the shutdown scripts because they usually don't touch
> > the configuration files. At least it isn't a general problem of Jaunty.
>
> Have you seen the bugs reports that were turned into FAQS in launchpad?
>
> > Otherwise many people should have seen that problem already. Maybe
> > during one of the last upgrades the update-grub script was run and
> > messed up your /boot/grub/menu.lst file for whatever reason? Could you
> > post that file? Maybe then someone gets an idea what is wrong.
>
> I wonder how many people put Kubuntu Jaunty on a 6 year old or so box.
> Athlon XP at your service.

A lot of us do, my laptop is 6 years old, for one. Runs nicely as my daily
machine with Jaunty

My only other thought is to save a copy of your menu.list, reboot, and when
you have to boot from the livecd, look at the menu.list before you repair it
to see what the differences between the 2 are.

I am afraid you may have a problem that no one has come across before. I'd
definitely file a bug report. You can file it on the package 'grub'.
--
Clay Weber
http://kubuntuforums.net