grub error 18

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Mon Sep 21 07:48:19 UTC 2009

Christopher Chan wrote:
> grub cannot even load stage1.5 when it is error 18...

Why do you think it doesn't load stage 1.5? According to the grub manual
[1], error 18 is a message from stage 1.5, so it should have loaded.

Other than that, I have read again the entire thread but I have no idea
what is wrong on your system. However I can't imagine there is something
wrong with one of the shutdown scripts because they usually don't touch
the configuration files. At least it isn't a general problem of Jaunty.
Otherwise many people should have seen that problem already. Maybe
during one of the last upgrades the update-grub script was run and
messed up your /boot/grub/menu.lst file for whatever reason? Could you
post that file? Maybe then someone gets an idea what is wrong.

Nils

[1] <http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html#Stage1_002e5-errors>