grub error 18

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Mon Sep 21 07:06:39 UTC 2009

David Kuntadi wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 1:39 PM, Christopher Chan
> <christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk> wrote:
>
>> grub cannot even load stage1.5 when it is error 18...i don't think it is
>> anything to do with the location of the kernel.
>>

> So, what do you think?

When I reinstall grub in the LiveCD environment and then reboot the
machine to let it boot up the installed Jaunty, there is no problem.
That demonstrates that there is no 1024 cylinder problem even though
this is an older machine. However, that grub installation that I did
from the LiveCD environment is apparently being overwritten whenever I
shutdown since I get the weird error 18 message from grub on the next
attempt to boot.
>> Nice, more circles. I think I know the best solution. Ditch Jaunty and
>> install Intrepid. Or maybe get Windows XP installed and save Ubuntu some
>> more embarrassment. If only wine 1.0 was part of RHEL, I'd just install
>> Centos and forget this mess.
>>

> Right. I guess Windows XP is more appropriate for you as other linux
> distro also reported this issue:
>
> http://forums.novell.com/novell-product-support-forums/suse-linux-enterprise-server-sles/sles-updates/384383-grub-error-18-after-installing-updates.html

Bah, who knows what the Suse guys do. Never used Suse and I do not hear
much about OpenSuse. Novell's done it in if you ask me. A kernel update
does not need a reinstallation of grub. It just needs an updating of
menu.1st/grub.conf/whateverdefaultmenufilewasdefinedatcompiletime. Which
is why I am asking what blasted script touches grub during shutdown.