grub error 18

Goh Lip g.lip at gmx.com
Mon Sep 21 04:09:57 UTC 2009

Christopher Chan wrote:

> Yes, which is why I am getting very cross now. After booting into the
> LiveCD, I run konsole, sudo -i, grub, root(hd0,0), setup(hd0), quit,
> reboot. The installed Jaunty boots up just fine. After a shutdown...I am
> ready to get a sledgehammer and smash something up. Something is messing
> around with grub during shutdown.

Try this ........
instead of root (hd0,0)

use root (hd0,x)

check what the x is by

sudo fdisk -lu

as usual, remember in grub legacy, (hd0,x) is sda(x+1).

then setup (hd0)

> The thing is though that I had no problems after initial installation. I
> did not have to deal with 'grub error 18' until after I updated the
> packages.

If there are many cases similar problem of different installations (you
installed for other people), I think during your installation, you may
not have installed grub to mbr. That is why after shutdown, it does not
boot.

Setting root (hd0,0) is usually wrong, it may work sometimes when it is
the ONLY OS in the computer or there is no partitioning.

If this fails, you can use your sledgehammer.

goh lip