grub error 18

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Mon Sep 21 00:16:35 UTC 2009

Goh Lip wrote:
> Chan Chung Hang Christopher wrote:
>
>>> I take it that you now have no problem booting after the root...setup...
>>> from the livecd.
>>>

>> Yup.
>>

>>> Grub legacy have precisely some problems not only with LBA cylinder but
>>> also with newer bios. Instead of trying to fix your grub, I suggest you
>>> convert your grub legacy to grub2. After all, karmic will default to grub2.
>>> sudo apt-get install grub-pc
>>>

>> the weird grub file somehow gives me the impression that grub2 is
>> installed? What grub does the LiveCD for Jaunty use?
>>

> Livecd? I don't know without popping in the livecd. you can check by
> going to /boot/grub/  and see if there is menu.lst or grub.cfg, maybe
> both. But it doesn't really matter, right? Livecd grub is always quite
> empty, just to start up the cd. The more important point is your
> installed jaunty partition. If you have meaningful entries in grub.cfg,
> then it is installed. There should also be meaningful entries in
> menu.lst whether grub2 is installed or not.
>
> If you have installed grub2, you can always reinstall if you did not
> follow up on the instructions where it wasn't installed to mbr giving
> rise to your problem. If it wasn't installed, okay, install it.

Let me make it CRYSTAL CLEAR. Jaunty booted up fine after the first
installation. However, after updating the packages to whatever latest
versions available, it apparently keeps messing up grub whenever it is
shutdown or rebooted. I have done nothing at all with grub or grub2
manually. I have not had a chance to check yet but I get the impression
my problems stem from grub2 since I see comments and other stuff besides
menu entries in the grub configuration file.

At this moment, it would seem that the LiveCD probably installs grub but
the updates snuck in grub2. When I next get my hands on that box, I will
verify what package(s) of grub are installed. Now if someone can tell me
what script messes around with grub/grub2 during shutdown, I will
happily file a bug report since I have no other Jaunty installation
lying around.