grub error 18

Chan Chung Hang Christopher christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Sun Sep 20 14:54:22 UTC 2009

Hello all,

What package takes care of shutting down?

I have this problem with Jaunty. When I first installed Jaunty, it
booted up without problems. However, after an update was done, it would
always show me a grub error 18 screen on the next attempt to boot the
machine after a shutdown.

Booting with the LiveCD (Kubuntu btw) that was used to install Jaunty
and then starting konsole and running grub with root privileges and
issuing the command: 'root (hd0,0); setup(hd0)' would make it boot into
Jaunty after rebooting from the LiveCD environment.

I remember reading something about commenting out some line that did
something with grub that would solve this problem. Unfortunately I have
not been able to find that url again and I wondered whether anybody
knows where a command involving grub during shutdown might be located in
the shutdown scripts.