Kubuntu Alpha's

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Sun Sep 20 09:33:59 UTC 2009

> Though I will make a complete new install for the final release I
> think the update would work too. The update system is smart enough to
> install all the new package and kick out obsolete ones. It's probably
> all the ongoing changes in the repositories that make trouble right
> now.

No, Sascha, the update mechanism is not smart enough to "install all
the new package and kick out obsolete ones" from the alphas. Apt-get
only compares version numbers, and that is often misleading in the
alpha stage. You might get away with updating from an RC to the
released version, but betas and especially alphas should _not_ be
updated to production systems.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com