DNS server's 404 screen

John Pierce john.j35 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 19 04:22:22 UTC 2009

On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 9:53 PM, Derek Broughton <derek at pointerstop.ca> wrote:
> Willy K. Hamra wrote:
>
>> Derek Broughton wrote:

>>> Sure, that would work just fine.  My _router_ runs linux.  It runs a DNS
>>> server.  However it has no way around the satellite modem's built in DNS,
>>> so it still gets bad responses (if I try to lookup DNS on any other
>>> external
>>> DNS server, it gets rerouted to the satmodem).  I imagine I could figure
>>> out a way to force the router to try again once the satmodem has poisoned
>>> its cache, but it was too much trouble last time I looked.
>>>
>>> Perhaps it should be using TCPv6 lookups to opendns - I don't know if the
>>> satmodem can catch those.
>> it's even worse here. my own DNS queries are quite useless. i have bind9
>> installed as always, but my ISP uses a cache server. sometimes, my
>> browser does the DNS query, and connects to the website, just to receive
>> a DNS error from my ISP's squid. so basically, i query, then the ISP
>> does a query. and HIS query is what matters to see the page properly.
>> and no i can't switch, only ISP in this god forsaken land.
>
> Well, technically, you don't need to use your ISP's DNS, and there are free
> DNS servers around.  In my case, the hardware that connects me to the
> internet finds any TCP request to port 53, and redirects it to the internal
> DNS.  But I'd be surprised if any land-based ISP was doing that.
> --
> derek

You don't need to send any requests to your isp, no matter who they
are, if configure bind9 to be your name server.  The root server that
bind9 uses to startup are addressed directly.  There is no need for a
query to hit the isp.  Then you configure your /etc/resolv.conf to use
your dns server running on your local machine.  This allows you to
completely bypass the isp.  Your router should only be used as a last
resort in case your local bind9 is not running.

--
John
Registered Linux User 263680, get counted at