DNS server's 404 screen

Willy K. Hamra w.hamra1987 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 18:25:19 UTC 2009

Derek Broughton wrote:
> John Pierce wrote:
>
>> Why even bother with your isp's DNS servers.  It is linux, fire up
>> bind9 and configure it to be your dns server.
>
> Sure, that would work just fine.  My _router_ runs linux.  It runs a DNS
> server.  However it has no way around the satellite modem's built in DNS, so
> it still gets bad responses (if I try to lookup DNS on any other external
> DNS server, it gets rerouted to the satmodem).  I imagine I could figure out
> a way to force the router to try again once the satmodem has poisoned its
> cache, but it was too much trouble last time I looked.
>
> Perhaps it should be using TCPv6 lookups to opendns - I don't know if the
> satmodem can catch those.
it's even worse here. my own DNS queries are quite useless. i have bind9
installed as always, but my ISP uses a cache server. sometimes, my
browser does the DNS query, and connects to the website, just to receive
a DNS error from my ISP's squid. so basically, i query, then the ISP
does a query. and HIS query is what matters to see the page properly.
and no i can't switch, only ISP in this god forsaken land.

--
Willy K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems