DNS server's 404 screen

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Fri Sep 18 17:20:50 UTC 2009

John Pierce wrote:

> Why even bother with your isp's DNS servers.  It is linux, fire up
> bind9 and configure it to be your dns server.

Sure, that would work just fine.  My _router_ runs linux.  It runs a DNS
server.  However it has no way around the satellite modem's built in DNS, so
it still gets bad responses (if I try to lookup DNS on any other external
DNS server, it gets rerouted to the satmodem).  I imagine I could figure out
a way to force the router to try again once the satmodem has poisoned its
cache, but it was too much trouble last time I looked.

Perhaps it should be using TCPv6 lookups to opendns - I don't know if the
satmodem can catch those.
--
derek