DNS server's 404 screen

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Fri Sep 18 13:56:14 UTC 2009

Paul Rumelhart wrote:

> Occasionally, I've had to tell the dnsmasq service to restart when I
> start getting those errors, which took care of them right away.
> Usually, though, I don't even see them anymore.  I've also noticed a
> general performance increase while surfing the web.  I assume my ISP
> needs to invest in more robust DNS servers.

_I_ assume (with some agreement from other users) that my ISP (actually my
ISP's provider) actively roots some percentage of DNS requests to a page
that looks like a typical domain squatter.  I got around _that_ by forcing
that particular domain to 404.  I'd rather get "not found" errors than see
their advertizing.
--
derek