DNS server's 404 screen

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 18 04:26:32 UTC 2009

Jerry Lapham wrote:
> Sometimes when my ISP is "taking a break" (the bottom light on the DSL modem
> marked "INTERNET" is dark or only on for occasional short bursts) I get a 404
> screen from the DNS telling me the site I want is unavailable and suggesting
> alternatives.  I've tried more than one DNS and they all do it.  That
> wouldn't be so bad except that when I try again, the DNS doesn't look -- it
> just shows the same screen even though the "INTERNET" light is now on steady.
> I have to wait several minutes to actually connect to the site I want.
>
> I'd like to find either (1) a DNS that doesn't do that at all or (2) a way to
> tell the DNS to actually look again.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> 	-Jerry

I'm no expert on this, but I was having dns timeout errors which would
render my internet usage null and void while it was happening and I
eventually ended up setting up dnsmasq to do dns caching.  From my
limited understanding of this, it basically sets yourself up as a dns
server for yourself (and possibly your local net), caching the IP
addresses of sites you visit.

I got around it in a less sophisticated manual way by doing an nslookup
on my regular internet sites I visit and putting them in my .hosts file,
before I went the dns caching route.

Occasionally, I've had to tell the dnsmasq service to restart when I
start getting those errors, which took care of them right away.
Usually, though, I don't even see them anymore.  I've also noticed a
general performance increase while surfing the web.  I assume my ISP
needs to invest in more robust DNS servers.

The dnsmasq package is part of Ubuntu.  You can find setup instructions
on the web -  I don't remember what I did to set it up.  If I remember
right, I had to install something extra to get it to launch at startup.

I'm on Hardy Heron, if that helps.  I'm assuming it's still around in
less antiquated versions.

Paul