DNS server's 404 screen

Jerry Lapham rjlapham at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 01:10:20 UTC 2009

Sometimes when my ISP is "taking a break" (the bottom light on the DSL modem
marked "INTERNET" is dark or only on for occasional short bursts) I get a 404
screen from the DNS telling me the site I want is unavailable and suggesting
alternatives.  I've tried more than one DNS and they all do it.  That
wouldn't be so bad except that when I try again, the DNS doesn't look -- it
just shows the same screen even though the "INTERNET" light is now on steady.
I have to wait several minutes to actually connect to the site I want.

I'd like to find either (1) a DNS that doesn't do that at all or (2) a way to
tell the DNS to actually look again.

Any ideas?

	-Jerry
Jerry Lapham