Partition problems after installing a second Kubuntu version

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Wed Sep 16 19:34:43 UTC 2009

john d. herron wrote:
> Here's the output:
> john at john-desktop:~$ ls -l /dev/disk/by-uuid
[...]
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 2009-09-16 16:23
> 1ec3d4e6-d74e-4b40-9a15-d468bbc474e7 -> ../../hda7

According to the fstab you sent some days ago that would be really the
UUID for hda7 and it should have / as the mount point. Maybe I'm missing
something but I don't see where there is a problem.

> In a web tutorial by one Holly Bostick on shell-shocked
> (http://www.shell-shocked.org/article.php?id=230) it says, among
> other things: "...Set up *all / partitions* for Linux (except the
> swap of course) as ext2...". I'm baffled: can there be more than one
> / partition on a harddisk? I look at the contents of the hdd on my
> box and see only one / (much like in win95 there's only one C:\).

There can only be one / partition for a running system. However there
could be several / partitions for several systems on the same disk. But
beware, that article is a bit dated (from 2003). Usually I would prefer
ext3 instead of ext2, except for the machine which has a CF card instead
of a harddisk. And the article doesn't talk about UUIDs which should be
used instead of device names. If you have only one disk it isn't
critical but if you have several disks, the association between disks
and devices isn't guaranteed to be constant, i.e. what is /dev/sda today
might be /dev/sdb tomorrow.

Nils