Out of a man page and back to bash prompt

Terence Simpson kubuntu.tsimpson at googlemail.com
Sat Sep 12 18:29:36 UTC 2009

On Saturday 12 September 2009 19:20:51 john d. herron wrote:
> Hi, all.
>
> I'm reading a man file in bash and don't know how to close the file and
> get back
> to the bash prompt. Stupid? I agree...
>
> Thanks for helping out.
>
> john
> Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn
> KDE 3.5.6 - Linux 2.6.20-17 generic

Man-pages are viewed in less by default, to quit less you type 'q' (for quit).
Another useful less function (especially for man-pages), typing '/' lets you
search the document, eg: "/something" will search the document for
"something". Then pressing 'n' fill find the next occurrence, and 'shift-n'
will find the previous.

Terence Simpson