Facebook is anti-Linux! Help change them!

Ignazio Palmisano ignazio_io at yahoo.it
Sat Sep 12 11:57:59 UTC 2009

On 12/09/09 12:14, Cary Bielenberg wrote:
> On 12/09/09 20:45, Knapp wrote:
>> On Sat, Sep 12, 2009 at 12:15 PM, Eberhard Roloff<tuxebi at gmx.de>   wrote:
>>
>>> Knapp wrote:
[snip]
>> Really that is the main reason  I posted this link, my brother has
>> been converted to Linux but can't use it with facebook so he keeps 2
>> computers so that he can use Linux. This is not ideal. The problem
>> that my brother is having is with face book Texas hold em poker. It
>> will not display the server choices. I personally have had problems
>> with it not letting me set people as friends. It says it is doing it
>> but never does. This problem is intermittent. One last thing. My
>> brother got an email from them saying to change to another OS also and
>> that was recently.

That email from them is meaningless, and likely a stock answer of the
kind you get on some "user support" lines. As others suggest, and is
true in my experience, the issue is either with Firefox not doing it
right or the Texas poker not doing it right. The operating system is
irrelevant in this respect, except for the fact that the app clearly
works in Internet Explorer and therefore Windows. Note that apps are not
Facebook, they are sort of plugins in Facebook architecture. Different
developers, therefore different responsibilities.

About your issue with setting friends, you say it's intermittent. I've
seen similar errors where Facebook pops up a cryptic error message that
seems to relate to network timeouts or similar trouble. Trying again
usually succeeds. I haven't investigated in detail but it sounds like
connection trouble, either due to poor connectivity (mine is a 3G
connection, sometimes it gets moody) or to poor implementation on
Facebook side. In both cases, not OS related.

Blaming the OS is like blaming Windows for Office viruses :P Windows
itself is not responsible for that...

>> Having issues with my subject of my email is fine with me but making
>> fun of spelling? Is that the Ubuntu way? I think not. Perhaps it was
>> meant as a joke?

<OT> For what it's worth I haven't noticed errors in your spelling. But
if someone makes jokes about that it's because they are out of arguments
about the discussion, and still want to say something. I believe that
classified them as trolls.

I.