Partition problems after installing a second Kubuntu version

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Sat Sep 12 07:56:31 UTC 2009

john d. herron wrote:
> Well, if possible it would like it to look something like this:
>
> 1)    Leave /dev/hda1 (the fat32 partition) in place, but trim it by
> about 2 GB. I've already stored most of the win97 stuff in a like
> partition on a 70%-empty 160 GB external USB harddrive; all I need to
> do is delete about 3 GB of non-essentials from /dev/hda1.
> 2)    Remove /dev/hda3 after moving its current contents (a skeleton
> /home directory) to a location on the external USB drive.
> 3)    Move /dev/hd1 free (the hidden 'buffer' partition) to a
> position adjoining the end of the trimmed /dev/hda1.
> 4)    Remove /dev/hda4 (currently empty; I used it for temporary
> storage of ISO files to be burned on CDs).

So far it looks like these tasks can be easily done with qtparted.

> 5)    Resize (i.e. left-grow) /dev/hda2 to a position adjoining ~ the
> end of the free /dev/hda1. Thus the extended partition /dev/hda2
> would then span ~ 28 GB (commencing at ~ 10 GB and ending at ~ 38.34
> GB. Then, inside this enlarged extended partition (/dev/hda2):

I'm not sure you can left-grow the extended partition (and I don't have
a spare disk to easily test it). But you can try with qtparted if it
lets you do it.

> 6)  Recreate a somewhat enlarged /dev/hda3 (e.g. ~ 13 GB) into which
> to install Kubuntu 8.04.2

If you can't left-grow the extended partition you could recreate it as a
primary partition.

> 7)   Recreate a somewhat enlarged /dev/hda4 (e.g. ~ 2/3 GB) next to
> /dev/hda3, to temporarily store things that don't really pertain to a
> particular distro.

I would suggest to use your external USB disk as a temporary storage
instead. Then you can us this space to make one of your important
partitions larger.

> 8)   Move the linux-swap partition (which will presumably become
> /dev/hda5) left, to adjoin the enlarged /dev/hda4.
> 8)   Left-grow the current /dev/hda7 (which will presumably become
> /dev/hda6), to adjoin the relocated swap partition.

If you can't left-grow the extended partition I would suggest you make
the swap partition a primary partition and use the entire extended
partition for your current hda7.

> Does this sound feasible - and practical - to you?

Like I wrote above, I'm not sure you can grow the extended partition.
But if qtparted lets you do it, all of the above seems feasible. But be
warned, it may take a long time (several hours) to left-grow a
partition.

> and how should
> these changes be reflected in grub?

Well, the new partition names or UUIDs should be used in the grub file
/boot/grub/menu.lst and don't forget to adjust your /etc/fstab as well.

> Yesterday afternoon I tried to do step  1: qtparted let me enter the
> change, but did not commit.
> Am I overlooking anything? perhaps something elementary?

Probably you didn't unmount the partition. You may not make changes to a
partition which is in use and qtparted doesn't allow to do it. I would
suggest you do all those partition shuffling from a live CD where you
don't need any partitions mounted. But beware, the live CD may use the
swap partition anyway. You can disable the swap partition with the
command

sudo swapoff -a

in a terminal if you can't do it from qtparted.

> or should I
> use some other partitioning application?

Personally I prefer gparted but I would expect that qtparted has the
same features and only a different look.

Nils