Partition problems after installing a second Kubuntu version

john d. herron paradox.herron at bluewin.ch
Sat Sep 12 06:15:15 UTC 2009

On 10/09/09 19:44, Nils Kassube wrote:
> john d. herron wrote:
>
> A screenshot at <http://picpaste.com/jdh_partitions_20090909.png>
> displays the layout of partitions on my 40 GB harddisk.
>
> I do need to provide more space for the current Feisty on
> /dev/hda7 and would also like to empty /dev/hda3 to make room for
> a test-install of Kubuntu 8.04. May I turn to you for advice on
> the possibilities, if any, of reshuffling the partitions?
> jdh
>
> Resizing partitions is always risky IMHO. But if you make backups of
> your data it is possible. What would be your preferred disk layout?
Well, if possible it would like it to look something like this:

1)    Leave /dev/hda1 (the fat32 partition) in place, but trim it by
about 2 GB. I've already stored most of the win97 stuff in a like
partition on a 70%-empty 160 GB external USB harddrive; all I need to do
is delete about 3 GB of non-essentials from /dev/hda1.
2)    Remove /dev/hda3 after moving its current contents (a skeleton
/home directory) to a location on the external USB drive.
3)    Move /dev/hd1 free (the hidden 'buffer' partition) to a position
adjoining the end of the trimmed /dev/hda1.
4)    Remove /dev/hda4 (currently empty; I used it for temporary storage
of ISO files to be burned on CDs).
5)    Resize (i.e. left-grow) /dev/hda2 to a position adjoining ~ the
end of the free /dev/hda1. Thus the extended partition /dev/hda2 would
then span ~ 28 GB (commencing at ~ 10 GB and ending at ~ 38.34 GB.
       Then, inside this enlarged extended partition (/dev/hda2):
6)   Recreate a somewhat enlarged /dev/hda3 (e.g. ~ 13 GB) into which to
install Kubuntu 8.04.2
7)   Recreate a somewhat enlarged /dev/hda4 (e.g. ~ 2/3 GB) next to
/dev/hda3, to temporarily store things that don't really pertain to a
particular distro.
8)   Move the linux-swap partition (which will presumably become
/dev/hda5) left, to adjoin the enlarged /dev/hda4.
8)   Left-grow the current /dev/hda7 (which will presumably become
/dev/hda6), to adjoin the relocated swap partition.
Does this sound feasible - and practical - to you?  and how should these
changes be reflected in grub?

It would be practical, of course, if I could install distros to run from
the external UBS drive; unfortunately, the box's current BIOS does not
contemplate that.

Yesterday afternoon I tried to do step  1: qtparted let me enter the
change, but did not commit.
Am I overlooking anything? perhaps something elementary? or should I use
some other partitioning application?

Thanks for helping, I really do appreciate.
jdh