using a remote CUPS server from Kubuntu Jaunty

Mark Greenwood fatgerman at ntlworld.com
Fri Sep 11 18:12:38 UTC 2009

On Thursday 10 Sep 2009 20:36:51 Wolfgang Jeltsch wrote:
> Hello,
>
> my employer provides several printers and a CUPS server for accessing them.
> I’d like to use this CUPS server directly from my Kubuntu Jaunty machine,
> i.e., I don’t want to use the CUPS server on localhost at all. This way, I
> won’t have to configure all the printers by hand, since they are already
> configured on my employer’s CUPS server.
>
> Unfortunately, I couldn’t find out how to set things up this way. Under KDE 3.5
> (on Debian etch), there was the possibility to use a CUPS server on an
> arbitrary host instead of just localhost. How can I achieve this with KDE 4?
>
> Best wishes,
> Wolfgang

I don't think you have to do anything. I have a PC in my house with a printer connected which is running a standard installation. I did no configuration other than connect the printer and install gutenprint (since it's an Epson printer). When I boot my laptop, also running a completely standard installation, it finds the remote printer automatically.

The one thing I have noticed is that I must power the printer up *after* I boot the machine which is running the server. If I power the printer up first, no machine will recognise it.

Mark