CD audio ripping in Jaunty

Mark Greenwood fatgerman at ntlworld.com
Thu Sep 10 18:22:07 UTC 2009

On Thursday 10 Sep 2009 18:18:11 Nigel Ridley wrote:
> Marcelo Magno T. Sales wrote:
> > Em Quinta-feira 10 Setembro 2009, Nigel Ridley escreveu:
> >> What's with Jaunty and ripping audio CD's? First a dialogue window
> >> doesn't pop up and ask me what I want to do. I then unsuccessfully
> >> tried to mount it so that I could see its content in Dolphin, and
> >> hopefully, as in the old Konqueror, just copy the 'MP3' folder to my
> >> home folder. I also tried K3B but it kept giving errors every time I
> >> tried to rip the audio CD.
> >
> > You can't mount an audio CD, because there is no file system on it. Once
> > there is no file system, there is no MP3 folder and no files to copy
> > either, just raw data. Unless you mean a data CD with mp3 files on it.
> > Take a look at audex and grip, both are in Ubuntu repos and can rip
> > audio CDs to any format you like (assuming you have the proper codecs
> > installed).
>
> So how does one view the contents of the audio CD? (Commercial audio CD - not MP3's).
> With Gutsy you could navigate to it using Konqueror but in Jaunty it's just not possible.

It works for me in Jaunty. I'm using KDE 4.3 from the ppa. Perhaps it was fixed recently?

With the not mounting thing, what does it do if you insert a data CD? Mine didn't used to automount any CD, this turned out to be due to HAL polling being disabled. Again I forget what I did to re-enable it but there is a command you can type to find out whether it's enabled or not. Google should be your friend here.

Or there might be a package you need to install? Under the System Settings->Advanced tab I have an option for Audio CDs which has a tab for MP3 encoder. I recall I had to install a package to get it to appear, but I can't remember what.

Mark