future move Kubuntu 8.04 KDE 3.5 to Kubuntu 9.10 KDE4

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 14:28:44 UTC 2009

I have just downloaded and am running Karmic Alpha in a VBox. And I must
admit that this far I am impressed. Yes there are some things I don't
get just yet, such as why KPackageKit has replaced the (for non-pros)
intuitive Add/Remove Programs completely. And a few other things.

But it DOES look good and most things work well. It seems the time to
switch is coming.

So I am trying to think of how to plan this. Given that I would like a
"partially clean start" meaning I do not want to lose my emails (Kmail)
or old saved feeds (Akregator), Kopete accounts, files such as documents
etc but I want to "lose" most of my other hidden .whatever directories
that have amassed over time.

If I make a clean install with the same identity as now and then copy
back files/folders (non-hidden), then what directories in .kde do I
need? Any others?

Should that copying be done before I fire up Kmail, Kopete etc the first
time?

Will the transfer from a ext3-based harddisk to the new ext4-based home
directory be a problem?

how about the /etc directory?

Best regards,
Sinclair