Kubuntu 9.04 setting date and time automatically

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Thu Sep 3 18:30:21 UTC 2009

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Oh, I see.  I don't think it's a permanent thing.  If you have
> ntpdate or ntpd installed (and last time I looked, ntpdate was
> automatic), checking that box will run the update _now_, but you
> shouldn't need to keep it checked because ntpdate gets invoked from
> /etc/network/if-up.d/ every time you bring up a network interface.

That certainly makes sense but it seems to be different to what the
developers had in mind. After Eberhard explained that it worked (partly)
with KDE 4.3.1 I tried it with Karmic. Initially I didn't have ntp
installed on that machine and the option was checked permanently (for
root only). Then I installed ntp and when I wanted to select the option
"Set date and time automatically" I got an error message saying the
selected ntp server was unreachable. However I could ping the server. I
tried it again with a different server and the error message was the
same. I uninstalled ntp and I could select the option again.

Conclusion: Your assumption that the option works with ntpdate seems to
be correct. But you can't use it if you have ntpd running, just like you
can't use ntpdate while ntpd is running.

Nils