Nasty little complication with the Russian 'phonetic' keyboard.

Alexander Smirnov alexander.v.smirnov at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 13:53:54 UTC 2009

> Hello Alex
>

>> you can try xmodmap tool.
>> $ xmodmap -pke >~/.Xmodmap
>> then edit result file and  re-login
>>

> A few minutes ago, I opened a terminal and give in the command you suggested:
> $ xmodmap -pke >~/.Xmodmap
> However, nothing happened - no failure report showed up. But I did
> also not see any 'result file' which I could edit.

"result file" is ~/.Xmodmap. Open in with text editor (I suggest Alt+F2,
then kwrite ~/.Xmodmap) and find string with "Cyrrilic_che". Cut it and
"Cyrillic_CHE" from assignment. Then paste to another keycode, which you
feel more comfortable, then save.

To get keycode for a key, run "xev" utility in a terminal, press key to
test(focus should be in xev window) and then find line with "keycode" in
a terminal where you launched xev from.

>> if it doesn't work after re-login, then execute  xmodmap ~/.Xmodmap in a
>> terminal
>>

> I have tried this in a terminal:
> $ xmodmap~/.Xmodmap
> But again - nothing happened.
>
> Also sudo variants of boths commands did not work out.

Nothing changed, because you file ~/.Xmodmap remained untouched. No need
in sudo.

Try the command again(ensure there is a space between xmodmap and it's
argument "~/.Xmodmap"), after you have edited ~/.Xmodmap and changed
keycodes assignments.

Good luck,
-Alex