Nasty little complication with the Russian 'phonetic' keyboard.

Bas Roufs basroufs at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 11:18:29 UTC 2009

Hello Georgi and everybody else

Thx. for your feedback.

> Are you sure that the keyboard model is properly listed in the keyboard menu?

As far as I know - yes. I found the Russian Phonetic keyboard as follows:
SYSTEM SETTINGS > regional and language > keyboard settings. 'Russian'
is simply one of the 'available' lay-outs.  This lay-out has 13
variants: Default, Phonetic, Typewriter,  'Legacy', Tatar, two
Ossetian variants, two Chuvash variants, Utmurt, Komi, Yakut, Kalmyk.
Only the 'Phonetic' variant is close the keyboard I usually work with:
'USA International'. So, all the other 12 variants are not relevant
for me.

> These letters do change position in different models. In Bulgarian Phonetic
> layout the 'ч' is at the '~' key (the last in left next to 1 key).

In the Russian Phonetic keyboard, the '~' has been attributed to the
'ю' (yu). But the '-' key, next to the '=' - and backspace keys, could
be used for the 'ч', if it is possible to maintain the '_ '
(underscore) at the '-'key, even in case the Russian keyboard is
active.  But I do not now whether it is possible to redefine the keys
within the Phonetic variant, and if so, how.

Respectfully yours,

Bas.