Nasty little complication with the Russian 'phonetic' keyboard.

Bas Roufs basroufs at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 10:06:19 UTC 2009

Dear Everybody

Recently, I installed the 'phonetic' variant of the Russian keyboard next to
the default keyboard at my machine with Kubuntu 9.04: 'US alternative
international'. I did so via SYSTEM SETTINGS > regional and language >
keyboard layout.  This 'phonetic' variant is the only variant I can possibly
work with when 10 finger blind-typing - so I am vary happy it exists! But
there is one nasty detail which creates sometimes complications: the
position of the character 'ч' (tsjè). This character has been positioned at
the '=' key, the key immediately left of the backspace key. The '='-key is
vital for working with spreadsheat packages, like 'Calc' (OpenOffice). If
the Russian phonetic keyboard is active, it is simply impossible to work
with Calc. But even when I switch to USA alt-intl., I sometimes have
difficulties with Calc. Yesterday I could only solve such problems by
DE-ACTIVATING altogether the Russian keyboard and restarting the PC. Now I
have re-installed the Russian phonetic keyboard in the way described above.
But it is very well possible that I will need to de-install it again in case
I get the same difficulties with Calc, even when the USA alt intl. has been
activated. That's why, I am wondering weather it would be possible to
position the 'ч' character at another key. If so, how?

Respectfully yours,

Bas.