Kubuntu 9.04 setting date and time automatically

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Thu Sep 3 06:17:00 UTC 2009

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Nils Kassube wrote:
> > Eberhard Roloff wrote:
> >> also when you use the help feature "What's this", you can
> >> read that this setting needs root authority. Unfortunately
> >> the previous KDE 3.5 "Admin-Button" has been removed with KDE 4.
> >
> > But it asks for the password anyway, so it should work. But I can
> > confirm that it doesn't work even though I have ntpd installed.
>
> So, what does ntpd say in the logs?

Nothing.

> I'm not 100% sure that that
> setting will use ntpd - it's expecting ntpdate

Good point. Therefore I uninstalled ntp and tried again. Still the same
result, the check mark for "Set date and time automatically" in
systemsettings is unchecked when I start systemsettings again.

> - but if KDE can't set
> the time via ntpdate, ntpd should be doing it _anyway_, so if your
> time isn't right I'd assume ntpd isn't working.

The time is right because ntpd is working but the KDE systemsettings
option doesn't work.

Nils