Grub and Grub2 don't get along?

Goh Lip g.lip at gmx.com
Sat Oct 31 09:05:19 UTC 2009

Jerry Lapham wrote:
> I managed to install Kubuntu 9.10 on dev/sda7, an empty but previously
> formatted partition on my laptop.  I was a little leary, but I think I let it
> default to installing grub2 on dev/sda.  When I rebooted, the grub menu from
> Kubuntu 9.04 on dev/sda5 was displayed with no way to boot 9.10.
>
> I thought, well, that was probably a good thing.  I'd just add Kubuntu 9.10 on
> dev/sda7 to that menu like I had Mandriva 2009 on dev/sda6.  I did it and
> rebooted but when I clicked on Kubuntu 9.10 it took me to a grub prompt.
>
> How do I get 9.10 to boot?
>
> 	-Jerry

When  1st grub menu (grub-legacy) from 9.04 appears, go to command
prompt, 'c' I think, then type and press enter after each command..

root (hd0,6)
chainloader +1
boot

If this does not work, it means you have an empty grub for 9.10.
then at the same grub prompt...(make sure you go back to the 9.04 grub,
not the empty grub2).....

root (hd0,6)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-14-generic root=/dev/sda7 ro quiet splash
initrd		/boot/initrd.img-2.6.31-14-generic
boot

If this still does not work, it means you have an empty boot. At this
point, I recommend you reinstall and ensure grub2 installs at sda.
(easier than chroot using livecd, which I don't normally do)

Now, if you manage to boot to 9.10, type this at terminal

sudo grub-install /dev/sda

Regards,
Goh Lip