Karmic: problems behind a proxy

Mirto Silvio Busico mirtosilvio.busico at fastwebnet.it
Fri Oct 30 11:01:24 UTC 2009

Hi all,

I've just done a fresh install of Karmic on a test machine in my office.

I'm behind a firewall and I have to use a proxy.

During the standard installation process it is not offered to setup a
proxy for apt-get.

When you try the Firefox installer, you receive the erroneous message
"the requested packages are already installed"; but Firefox is not
installed.

Setting up the proxi in the system settings have no influence on apt.

I had to manually create /etc/apt/apt.conf with the normal Acquire line
and then all worked perfectly.

My questions:

   1. is it normal that the proxy settings are not offered in the normal
      setup?
   2. is it normal that the system-settings/proxy settings are ignored
      by apt?

Thanks
    Mirto