Kubuntu a dist in crisis?

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 27 20:19:58 UTC 2009

Take a look at the Computer Languages Benchmark Game: http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/

They run different programs written in a variety of languages on the same architecture and show the results.  You almost always see C and C++ (with different compiler optimizations) at the top and scripted languages like Perl, Python, and Ruby at the bottom when measuring speed and resource usage.  Occasionally, something like Haskell or Ada will do surprisingly well.

Scripting languages have a different goal in mind, in my opinion, that makes them unsuitable for some types of programming.  If it should be lean, mean, and if resource usage is important, they should be using C or C++ or something similar.  In the data tables on the page referenced above, the difference is often minutes compared to a few seconds.  If every application library and application front-end was written in a scripting language, our vast memory, CPU, and hard-disk resources wouldn't save us from a sluggish, unusable system.  On the other hand, if it really is scripting that is being done, than writing it in C or C++ is way overkill and ease-of-development is far more important.

When it comes down to it, a programming language is a tool.  Use it where it makes sense.

Paul