Can pulseaudio be gotten rid of?? Karmic...

Brian Norman Wootton Brian.Meg at btinternet.com
Tue Oct 27 11:19:34 UTC 2009

> >I get the same black bottom right pop-up every time
> > I boot up which states the alsa driver does not work and the OS is
> > defaulting to pulse audio.

That'll be because Pulseaudio has stolen the alsa driver. You either need to have everything using pulse or nothing using pulse. Mplayer can use it too - you need to configure your .asoundrc file to default to pulse, and then every native alsa application can play via pulseaudio - including Mplayer and Flash. See the pulseaudio website for more details. Again, this is something that really ought to happen by default, as it does in several other distros where pulseaudio is much better integrated.

Mark
--------

I don't know anywhere near enough to discuss this, but my machine
goes ding-dong when I test HDA Nvidia and when I test PulseAudio so
I'm not about to change anything. Having fiddled about somewhat in
the past until I've got sound for videos, music, classicfm, radio3,
bbc iplayer and any firefox web flash stuff - so I'm leaving well
alone. I'll see what karmic koala does for me next week maybe.
brian