Kubuntu a dist in crisis?

Billie Erin Walsh bilwalsh at swbell.net
Mon Oct 26 19:50:22 UTC 2009

Perry wrote:
> Le Monday 26 October 2009 15:37:46 Clay Weber, vous avez écrit :
>
>> On Monday 26 October 2009 03:24:22 am Ric Moore wrote:
>>
>>> On Sun, 2009-10-25 at 23:33 -0400, Clay Weber wrote:
>>>
> [snip]
>
>>> Something as dumb as installing Evolution, a gnome app, I expect. Ric
>>>

>> That's not a dumb thing to do. It *is* a Gnome app after all, so it needs
>> Gnome things. Ubuntu decides what it's packages depend on, and that is why
>> Evolution pulls in not only base Gnome things, it pulls in other
>> gnome/Ubuntu specifics as well, like pulseaudio, among other things. I
>> don't believe there is a simple way around this. It goes the other way as
>> well; installing kontact in Ubuntu pulls in tons of extras, I am sure.
>>
>> A way to minimize this is to install packages with apt using the ''--no-
>> install-recommends" flag. Even installing synaptic in Karmic pulls in a
>> number of extra (and unneeded in KDE) stuff. I wonder if there is a way to
>> specify this flag in apt's configuration somewhere, as well as what the
>> consequences would be?
>>

>> clay
>>
> A couple of years ago I installed next to my SuSe (and M$) a gnome Ubuntu, and
> seeing it was too different from what I was used to, I installed Kde, could
> boot in both, had cluttered (K)menus with same purpose apps from both
> origins, it caused me some uncertainties about which package manager to use
> (do they share the same data base?), but I survived and so did the systems
> (until a hardware crahs occured).
>
> So my question is: what is wrong in pulling some gnome stuff in Kubuntu?
>
> Greetings		Perry

Some people are "purists". They don't want anything that isn't KDE on
their machine. Nothing particularly wrong with this idea. It's just how
it is. Sometimes some crossover aps can cause a problem. Usually not
fatal but annoying.

Personally, I install KDE but add a few things that I like from Gnome
that I like better than what's in KDE. Yeah, it drags in some
dependencies but I'm willing to live with that.

It's a personal choice sort of thing.

--
Treat all stressful situations like a dog does.
If you can't eat it or play with it,

Sent with Thunderbird on my Kubuntu Linux Desktop