Kubuntu a dist in crisis?

Clay Weber claydoh at midmaine.com
Mon Oct 26 14:37:46 UTC 2009

On Monday 26 October 2009 03:24:22 am Ric Moore wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-10-25 at 23:33 -0400, Clay Weber wrote:

> > > I wish I had stayed with hardy as well. Fighting with pulseaudio has
> > > gotten OLD. I miss some of the applications that worked perfectly with
> > > Hardy, like the nVidia installer. Ric
> >
> > Pulseaudio is not installed in Kubuntu (though it seems to be easy to
> > install indirectly by installing something else)
> >
> > clay
>
> Something as dumb as installing Evolution, a gnome app, I expect. Ric

That's not a dumb thing to do. It *is* a Gnome app after all, so it needs
Gnome things. Ubuntu decides what it's packages depend on, and that is why
Evolution pulls in not only base Gnome things, it pulls in other gnome/Ubuntu
specifics as well, like pulseaudio, among other things. I don't believe there
is a simple way around this. It goes the other way as well; installing kontact
in Ubuntu pulls in tons of extras, I am sure.

A way to minimize this is to install packages with apt using the ''--no-
install-recommends" flag. Even installing synaptic in Karmic pulls in a number
of extra (and unneeded in KDE) stuff. I wonder if there is a way to specify
this flag in apt's configuration somewhere, as well as what the consequences
would be?

clay