KDE 4 and KPackageKit

Alan Dacey Sr. GrokIt at ajinfosearch.com
Tue Oct 20 21:26:20 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 20 October 2009 08:03:15 am O. Sinclair wrote:
> Eberhard Roloff wrote:
> > O. Sinclair wrote:
> >> And I fear the day I will have to explain this application and method
> >> for installing to "new linux user" who may want to play a game, find a
> >> scan application and just scout around for applications... as I am not
> >> even sure myself how to narrow down a search for "kde and games", as an
> >> example.
> >
> > [...]
> >
> >> Am I missing something really obvious?
> >>
> >> regards, Sinclair
> >
> > Sinclair,
> >
> > imho, you are missing synaptic, indeed.
> >
> > Although this is not strictly KDE ;-), you can easily
> > explain this application to any new linux user, no matter
> > where she wants to go.
>
> I am aware of Synaptic, it got "pulled in" on my production KDE3
> computer by Apt-on-CD. OK it is more "understandable" than KPackagekit
> or latest Adept but my query is really:
> Am I missing something about KPackagekit that is obvious to others? Are
> there usability features I have missed? Are there, well hidden, easy
> ways to search, find, select and present packages?
>
> And where, if anywhere, is something resembling "Add/Remove Programs"
> from Kubuntu Hardy - dead easy to explain for any newbie or less
> IT-savvy user.

Right now there is no KDE package manager worth using.  Even on regular system
updates it still holds back certain packages.  Like everyone else is saying,
teach a new user synaptic to pick and choose software.  Maybe explain that
something else keeps the system up to date.  Until it gets better (one can
hope) than it is now, we are stuck with using an ugly gnome app.  At least it
works well.

--
Alan

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That's my religion."
Abraham Lincoln