Network connection

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Tue Oct 20 21:13:09 UTC 2009

Georgi Kourtev wrote:
> What is best to use for connecting to various networks?

Wicd - at least that's what I prefer but see below (and as always,
YMMV).

> In my package
> list I've got:
> -knetworkmanager

That's a dummy package to move to network-manager-kde for distribution
upgrades, i.e. not interesting for you.

> -kdenetwork

Some networking applications - not interesting for your question.

> -network-manager

The basic background application doing the real work of connecting to
the networks.

> -network-manager-kde

One GUI frontend for network-manager.

> -plasma-widget-network-manager

Another GUI frontend for network-manager.

> -plasm-widget-networkmanagement

No idea - and I can't even see it in my package list.

Now, what should you install? You can choose network-manager-kde or
plasma-widget-network-manager and both will also include network-
manager. I can't tell you which is better but if you can't make them
work, you could try wicd, which is another application for network
management with some different features. The main reason why I prefer
wicd is because it will connect to the network before I log-in.

Nils