KDE 4 and KPackageKit

Mark Greenwood fatgerman at ntlworld.com
Tue Oct 20 18:33:52 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 20 Oct 2009 13:03:15 O. Sinclair wrote:
> Eberhard Roloff wrote:
> > O. Sinclair wrote:
> >> And I fear the day I will have to explain this application and method
> >> for installing to "new linux user" who may want to play a game, find a
> >> scan application and just scout around for applications... as I am not
> >> even sure myself how to narrow down a search for "kde and games", as an
> >> example.
> >>
> > [...]
> >> Am I missing something really obvious?
> >>
> >> regards, Sinclair
> >>
> > Sinclair,
> >
> > imho, you are missing synaptic, indeed.
> >
> > Although this is not strictly KDE ;-), you can easily
> > explain this application to any new linux user, no matter
> > where she wants to go.
> >

> I am aware of Synaptic, it got "pulled in" on my production KDE3
> computer by Apt-on-CD. OK it is more "understandable" than KPackagekit
> or latest Adept but my query is really:
> Am I missing something about KPackagekit that is obvious to others? Are
> there usability features I have missed? Are there, well hidden, easy
> ways to search, find, select and present packages?
>
> And where, if anywhere, is something resembling "Add/Remove Programs"
> from Kubuntu Hardy - dead easy to explain for any newbie or less
> IT-savvy user.

I read somewhere that "Add/Remove Programs" got pulled from the release in favour of the more 'KDE-integrated' KPackageKit.

I have to agree with you, KPackageKit is dreadful, one of the worst user interfaces I've ever encountered. These days 'sudo apt-get' is what I use all the time. However KPackageKit is still in early development which means one can but hope for improvement in the future. Does beg the question 'why on earth was it installed in the first place?' though.

Mark