Kubuntu Hardy to Jaunty failed

Mark Fraser ubuntu at mfraz.orangehome.co.uk
Thu Oct 15 10:40:13 UTC 2009

Yesterday I tried to upgrade my wife's computer from Hardy to Jaunty after
successfully doing it on 2 other computers. This time it started coming up
with error messages saying certain packages couldn't be installed and stopped.
I dropped into tty1 and carried on with the install there, but the part of the
upgrade where it removes old packages didn't happen.

If I do apt-show-versions |grep hardy on the computer I'm presented with a
whole list of packages that I presume should have been removed. Can I safely
remove all these packages?