going from 8.04 to 9.10

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 07:47:35 UTC 2009

Still playing around with 9.10 in a Vbox and liking it more and more. So
I am still looking for any suggestions on the "best way" to upgrade.

My computer has separate root and home partitions, one way I have used
before is to leave all "as is" on Home and reformat Root. Then reinstall
all my apps (that dont come by default) following that.

But given the ext3 and ext4 "issue" and the shift from KDE3.5 to KDE4 I
am hesitant if this will really work this time around? File locations
for Kontact/KMail etc - will these be automagically upgraded/changed?

If I tar all from home to an external disk (or simply copy it over as is
on an ext3 disk) will I get problems copying files back if I repartition
Home to ext4?

Is there any point for a desktop/laptop to use ext4 instead of ext3?

Any pointers or suggestions most welcome. The Kubuntu wiki simply states
that upgrade from 8.04 to 9.10 is not possible at the moment but "work
in progress".

kind regards,
Sinclair