X server bug possibly OpenChrome in Jaunty

David Kuntadi d.kuntadi at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 02:42:12 UTC 2009

On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 9:01 AM, Christopher Chan
<christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk> wrote:

> Okay, so now you are saying that it is VIA's fault even though you have
> already stated that openchrome is more stable than VIA's own drivers.

Sure. VIA own driver work very well in MS Windows, but not for its
linux driver. The fact that the opensource driver could beat the VIA's
own driver shows that VIA do not have enough commitment to deliver
good driver:

http://forums.opensuse.org/tech-news/421513-chip-maker-via-joins-linux-foundation.html

> I doubt that a double free error is related to knowing or not knowing
> stuff about the chip.

It is the first time I heard we could make driver for hardware without
the need to know what hardware it is. Could you give me some reference
of what you are saying? As far as I know, driver maker should know the
hardware characteristic, and this is one of the most difficult parts
of the technology i.e. make a piece of metal alive.

> I did not buy the computer. I just have to work with what I get.

Then, I wish you good luck with VIA chipset

DK