Staying with Hardy

Michael Hirsch mdhirsch at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 23:28:06 UTC 2009

On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 11:07 AM, Knapp <magick.crow at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 5:34 PM, Derek Broughton <derek at pointerstop.ca> wrote:
>> David Kuntadi wrote:

>>> You could stay with Hardy (LTS) for 3 years:
>>>
>>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LTS
>>
>> Except Kubuntu wasn't an LTS, and the KDE packages reach end-of-life at 18
>> months.
>> --
>> derek
>
> I have been sticking with 8.04 because I don't like kde 4 much.
> Problem is that most of 8.04, the under parts (libs), are getting old
> and don't work well with really up to date software like from an SVN.
> Things are moving. KDE 3 -> KDE 4, Python 2 to Python 3, Ext 3 to Ext
> 4, Grub 1 to Grub 2, VLC to VLC 1.? and LOTS of others like; Blender
> 3d 2.5, Inkscape  .47 (will this be in 9.10) and more. Thus, I think I
> will at last be forced to upgrade.

I'm running Jaunty with KDE 3.5 and it works quite well.  check out
http://apt.pearsoncomputing.net/ for instructions on using 3.5 with
Hardy and Jaunty.

I believe that the intention is to support Karmic as well.  I'm now
using 4.3 at work and 3.5 at home, but I may finally upgrade to 4.x
when Karmic is released.

Michael