scanning

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Oct 3 02:01:43 UTC 2009

On Friday 02 October 2009, David McGlone wrote:
>On Friday 02 October 2009 03:25:55 pm Donn wrote:
>> On Friday 02 October 2009 21:11:11 David McGlone wrote:
>> > Now SANE recognizes my scanner and I scan an image, but try to save it
>> > and SANE crashes. No error no nothing!
>>
>> Run it from a konsole.
>>
>> >  edit the image, so I fire up gimp click open and gimp crashes every
>> > time. No error nothing! Pathetic!
>>
>> Run it from a konsole.
>>
>> > I reboot 2 times each time trying KDE and Gnome, still same results.
>> >  PATHETIC!
>>
>> Sounds like something is going badly wrong with your machine. I would
>>  suspect hardware. I use gimp often and have for years, it's not an app
>>  that crashes.
>
>Something is badly wrong with my brains man! LOL I had the friggin printer
>plugged into my router!
>
>I wonder if Linux offers open source brains.

I've heard rumors it is being worked on. :-)

But if the printer has an ethernet (cat5) jack on it, one would normally
assume it has an address someplace in the 192.168.x.x subnet, and that it
probably is programmable, in which case cups can just export it to that IP.
Any open port on the router should be good for that.

OTOH, maybe I don't understand the nuances of how a printer equipt with a
cat5 connector works, and I can be safely ignored.  I do not have such a
printer myself, mainly because my now very elderly Epson C82 seems determined
to use the last tank on ink for it on the planet before it dies.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying
of nothing.
		-- Redd Foxx