Openoffice Writer crashes when saving a document with changes/revisions in ms office 97/2000 format

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Thu Nov 26 08:36:53 UTC 2009

O. Sinclair wrote:
>> Can someone help me confirm (or the opposite) following bug in
>> Openoffice 3.1 on Karmic:
>>
>> create or edit an existing document in Writer, save in MS Office
>> 97/2000 format
>>
>> Switch on Changes from men Edit, Changes, Record
>>
>> add a note or some changes
>> Save
>> in my computer I get a crash. On recovery after restart the changes
>> might or might not be there but the document can not be saved in
>> office97/2000 format.
>>
>> Save as ODT, Office2003 or RTF works fine.
>>
>> Will file a bug (or see if one exists) if anyone can confirm behaviour
> Found the bug myself, problem confirmed and not upstream:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openoffice.org/+bug/457220
>
> and unassigned...

To come back to this issue: given that I had done an upgrade leaving
/home intact and others reported the problem did not occur on a fresh
install I decided to try something.

I removed the ~/.openoffice.org directory and then started OpenOffice
writer. All settings and any plugins were gone BUT saving docs with
Notes now works.

Sinclair