Disabling touchpad tapping in 9.10

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Mon Nov 23 14:13:21 UTC 2009

O. Sinclair wrote:

> Derek Broughton wrote:
>> O. Sinclair wrote:
>>
>>> Hm - seems to work just fine so why not in Karmic I wonder? One thing
>>> though - can not disable tapping while typing, greyed out on mine.
>>
>> Disabling tapping requires the xorg SHMConfig setting.  In the .fdi I
>> posted elsewhere in this thread it's:
>>  <merge key="input.x11_options.SHMConfig" type="string">true</merge>
>>
> Got that file, settings look 100 like above (like your long quote) but
> no change in "disable tap while typing", greyed out it is. Any idea?
>
> Admit I have not got my head around this whole fdi business yet.

Check out "tpconfig".  If you can use it to turn off tapping, or if it tells
you you can't because of the SHMConfig setting, then at least we know where
the problem is.  otoh, I used that just a couple of months ago, and now in
Karmic (a) something uninstalled it and (b) after reinstall it says "Could
not open PS/2 Port [/dev/psaux]" (and none of my /dev/input/... devices seem
to work either), so maybe it's no use anymore.  Could be my knowledge is now
out of date...
--
derek