crontab

Matthew Flaschen matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu
Sat Nov 21 01:28:22 UTC 2009

Ian L. Target wrote:
> After some more googling, I found that some web pages say there should
> be a file call cron.allow located at
> /var/adm/cron/cron.allow and another web page says it should be located
> at /usr/lib/cron/cron.allow.  Neither of those locations exist.  I have
> a /usr/lib/ but no /usr/lib/cron.  I don't have a /var, but no /var/adm/.
>
> Where /should/ the cron.allow file be located?

Obviously, the location varies amongst *ix versions.  But on my system
(Karmic), man 1 crontab mentions /etc/cron.allow and /etc/cron.deny, and
says, "If neither of these files exists, then depending on
site-dependent configuration parameters, only the super user will be
allowed to use this command, or all users will be able to use this
command. For standard Debian systems, all users may  use  this  command."

On my system, neither file exists, and I am able to use cron.  If you
are using Ubuntu and can't use cron, one of these files probably exists
and doesn't give you access.

Matthew Flaschen