Urgent help needed - desktop/ screen Kubuntu Karmic does not function at all!

Bas Roufs basroufs at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 15:50:07 UTC 2009

*Hello Everybody

Your suggestions, David, proved to be quite useful!  I can work again at the
9.10 partition of my PC. Thank you very much!
*
> 1. sudo apt-get remove xserver-xorg-video-intel

*I have done so.*

2. Download (...)  For 32 bit:
http://launchpadlibrarian.net/25090475/xserver-xorg-video-intel_2.6.3-0ubuntu9_i386.deband
install it, even if it is complain the package is old....

*This I did as well. For now, it seems to work. *

After finished the installation, run:
 sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
and reboot.

*Also after each reboot, the system keeps working now. *

Hopefully it works. If it works, lock the xserver-xorg-video-intel to avoid
being upgraded back to latest version (...) sudo su
echo xserver-xorg-video-intel hold | dpkg --set-selections (...)

*I also managed to follow up this advise. For now and probably the coming
months I am fine. On the other hand, I am wondering whether it could be
useful to file a bug report about this experience: in such a way that
similar problems can be avoided** for the combination of video cards like
mine and future versions of xorg.conf. My hardware is old, but not extremely
old: 2005. *

*Finally, one 'typical KDE' question remains - relevant for those with
specific Kubuntu experience. The widgets at the panel are quite small. The
same applies for icons and texts in applications without any possibility to
'zoom in'. Is there any possibility to zoom in everything till about
110%* *compared
to their size now.*

*Respectfully yours,

Bas.