Netbook recommendation

Billie Erin Walsh bilwalsh at swbell.net
Mon Nov 16 02:57:51 UTC 2009

Steve Lamb wrote:
> Billie Erin Walsh wrote:
>
>> Kılıç Köken wrote:
>>
>>> I would buy something which has a preinstalled Linux on it.
>>>

>      This.
>

>> I wouldn't base my choice _just_ on the OS. Base it on the features. The
>> OS is easy to change but the features can be a B_____.
>>

>      I disagree.  Yes, keep features in mind but if you're going to buy a
> netbook buy one with Linux preinstalled so the sale registers as a Linux sale,
> not a Windows sale.  The OS is easy to change?  Really?  10+ years of trying
> to get Linux to be accepted by the Mainstream so I can play my games on it
> instead of Windows and no practical change yet.  During that time I've gone
> through at least as many machines.  Ergo, machines are easier to swap than
> OS.  :P

I'm afraid I will have to disagree with you.

SO, I guess you would rather buy a cruddy computer that has Linux than
one that meets your needs but you will have to load Linux. And, I think
you need to rethink the definition of "change" in the context I used it in.

Not everyone in the world is independently wealthy and can buy a new
computer every week. All but my Eee and my Gateway are old. We had a
once in a lifetime chance last year to buy new laptops. They will have
to last for years. I looked for features that met my needs.

I can support your ideal of supporting Linux but...............

--
Treat all stressful situations like a dog does.
If you can't eat it or play with it,

Sent with Thunderbird on my Kubuntu Linux Desktop