Odd tmp/Flashxxxxx files

Bruce MacArthur bmacasuru at fastmail.us
Wed Nov 11 21:04:51 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 11 November 2009 02:33:55 pm Ric Moore wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-11-10 at 22:02 +0100, Perry wrote:
>
> > As a last note: Firefox extension "Downloadhelper" helped me
download files
> > related to the video I was viewing and there might be ways to
extract just
> > the sound from those flv files, it seemed to work even when the Flash
file
> > didn't, I still must experiment on that.
>
> If the file you wish is on YouTube then you are in luck. Use "clive",
> which is a command line app. Once you install it, goto to the youtube
> page you want to capture in firefox and just copy the URL line. Then
> open a terminal and enter:
>
> sudo clive "the-url-pasted-here-using-ctrl-insert"
>
> ...and hit return! It'll save the flv file to the directory that you are
> in. Piece of cake! My all time favorite application. Enjoy! Ric
>
> p/s you have to use the quotation marks as I noted, they enclose the
> url.

> Linux user# 44256
> https://nuoar.dev.java.net/
> Verizon Cell # 434-774-4987

Hello, Ric --

Do you happen to know if this works on "all" (!) browsers, or is it
essentially limited to working with FireFox?  Also, where is the best
place to find the current version of CLIVE -- and what is the best
installation process?  THANKS for this info -- there are a few
OUTSTANDING YouTube pieces that I have (unsuccessfully!) tried to copy;
this provides wonderful hope for me!!!

Bruce   Mac Arthur
     bmacasuru at fastmail.us