automounting a USB hard drive

Alvin info at alvin.be
Tue Nov 10 18:52:29 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 10 November 2009 18:05:13 Mark Traceur wrote:
> I'll just point out my noobishness here, I guess.

Only by top-posting ;-)

> In the past, when dealing with external/media drives, I've been able
> to just have "/dev/sdb1 /media/Media ext3 defaults 0 0", instead of
> all the fancy stuff you have...maybe that could work? Be sure to back
> up your fstab, though.

It's not fancy stuff. relatime might even be a default setting. I didn't
check. (Like most users, I have no need for atimes)
The 6th field (fs_passno) setting of '2' indicates that you want the
filesystem to be checked at boot. Of course, this might be a problem if the
filesystem is not booted, but it is in fact the recommended setting. Your
filesystems will not be checked.

For more details: $ man fstab